Sunday, January 17, 2010

Annetta Lucero- Performance Artist


Annetta Lucero is a legend in the world of baton twirling. Her accomplishments span decades and include three world championship titles, six national titles, and a congressional cup title. She is also a Guinness World Record title holder twice over, a Cirque Du Soleil Talent Bank Athlete, and a world renowned choreographer. Annetta is not just a baton twirler and she does not simply perform routines- instead, she is a performance artist, a gifted athlete that refuses to "put (herself) in a box." She was born with three missing vertebrae, and suffers from systemic lupus and epilepsy, all potentially devastating conditions. Through sheer determination, Annetta overcame the difficulties associated with these conditions and became a poster child of sorts for reaching goals and realizing dreams.

When asked what advice Annetta would like to share with twirlers today, she gave a myriad of answers, all inspirational, and many geared to athletes who don't fit the conventional stereotype of a baton twirler. "I'm a pioneer for older twirlers. I book a job every single day and I'm 42! I came back to the sport at age 31 because I loved it. I have an unbelievable passion and desire to let twirlers know they don't have to stop." She goes on to say, "(Baton twirling) doesn't have to stop with skills and tricks. We should promote the sport as a lifelong art form instead of a temporary endeavor. Twirlers shouldn't be judged solely on youth and ability, but on the experience that they bring to the table, the life lessons, the message that they put out there on the competition floor."

Aside from just encouraging twirlers to compete and grow as artists beyond college age, Annetta also advocates for victims of domestic violence and uses baton twirling in her speeches. "I think it surprises people to see that talented, courageous individuals can be abused partners. But they can, and I want to give these people hope to move past the abuse." Annetta uses her baton as an instrument to convey her message of faith and perseverance. Currently, she has produced a 2 DVD video set titled Disqualified & Overqualified.
Disqualified is a 90-minute biographical film. It contains never before seen competition videos dating back more than 30 years. It is an entertaining film that includes not only amazing twirling footage, but also candid interviews. Overqualified is a comprehensive 120-minute instructional video that features everything from rolls to bodywork. Each section includes easy-to-follow, slow-motion, and multiple-angle demonstrations of skills for beginners, intermediate and advanced baton and staff twirlers.

Though she didn't set out to be a trendsetter, that's precisely what Annetta Lucero is. Her outlook on baton twirling and life seem intertwined, like a tapestry of hope, beauty, and never-ending determination. If you want to learn more about Annetta or to purchase her videos, visit her web site, AnnettaLucero.com.

"A routine is not just a series of tricks, it's a message." -Annetta Lucero

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you :)

Praying for Snow said...

Awww, thanks, Ge. I loved writing these, especially this one. Annetta is amazing. I didn't even have to ask her questions, really, she just threw me quote after usable quote. :)